Our research is in the design and analysis of embedded systems including both software and hardware aspects. Of particular interest are topics such as real-time embedded systems, embedded software, and computer architecture.
Research ProjectsThese are some of the current research projects.
Predictable Access to Shared Data for Multi-core Real-time SystemsWe investigate hardware and software techniques to ensure predictable accesses to shared data. We expect deployments of modern mixed-criticality systems to compute on shared data, which must be accessed in a predictable way.
Computer Architecture Support for Complex NetworksWe are investigating a combination of micro-architecture and compiler techniques to accelerate the performance of accessing complex networks on modern computing systems.
For a list of in-active research projects, please see past research projects.
- Senior Associate Editor, ACM Transactions on Embedded Computing (TECS), 2017 - present
- Information Director, ACM Transactions on Embedded Computing (TECS), 2013 - present
- Associate Editor, ACM Transactions on Embedded Computing (TECS), 2013 - 2016
- Technical program committee member, Design Automation Conference (DAC), 2016,2017
- Technical program committee member, International Conference on Real-time and Embedded Technology and Applications Symposium (RTAS), 2015,2017
- Technical program committee member, International Conference on Compilers, Architectures and Synthesis of Embedded Systems (CASES), 2015
- Technical program committee member, International Conference on Computer-Aided Design (ICCAD), 2013 - 2015
- Technical program committee member, IEEE International Conference on Application-specific Systems, Architectures and Processors (ASAP), 2015
- Technical program committee member, International Conference on Formal Methods and Models for Codesign (MEMOCODE), 2014 - 2015
Prospective StudentsStudents must have a strong background in programming (both software and hardware). If you are applying to either the Computer Science or Electrical and Computer Engineering department, and are interested in this research, then please send me your CV. Unfortunately, it may not be possible to respond to all email.
Current StudentsI am fortunate to be working with the following outstanding students.
- Mohamed Hassan, Winter 2016 (Intel, Canada)
- Hany Kashif, Fall 2015 (SOTI Research)
- Nivedita Sritharan, Spring 2017
- Yunling Cui, Winter 2017 (Intel, Canada)
- Nathan Buchanan, Fall 2016 (Texas Instruments, USA)
- Zhuoran Yin, Winter 2015 (National Instruments)
- Anirudh Kaushik, Winter 2014 (IBM Toronto => PhD @ Waterloo)
- Aayush Prakash, Spring 2012 (IBM Toronto => Nvidia Canada)
- Sina Gholamian, Spring 2012 (Thalmic Labs.=>Qualcomm Canada=> PhD @ Waterloo)
- Dan Wang, Fall 2013 (Istuary)
ContactDepartment of Electrical and Computer Engineering,
University of Waterloo,
200 University Ave W, Waterloo, ON N2L 3G1, Canada.
Office: E5 4018
Tel: +1 519 888 4567
Fax: +1 519 746 7260
GPG Fingerprint: F056 2228 E2C1 0F6B C6B3 AD53 F1BA 6C5D 8010 B537 (full key)