Hiren Patel is an Associate Professor (with tenure) in the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering at the University of Waterloo. Prior to the University of Waterloo, Hiren was a postdoctoral fellow at the University of California, Berkeley working in the Ptolemy group with Edward A. Lee.
My research is in the design, analysis, and implementation of computer hardware and software. Currently, my research areas of interest are in real-time embedded systems, computer architecture, hardware architectures for machine learning, and security.
- Senior Associate Editor, ACM Transactions on Embedded Computing (TECS), 2017 - present
- Information Director, ACM Transactions on Embedded Computing (TECS), 2013 - present
- Associate Editor, ACM Transactions on Embedded Computing (TECS), 2013 - 2016
- Technical program committee member, Design Automation Conference (DAC), 2016,2017,2018
- Technical program committee member, International Conference on Real-time and Embedded Technology and Applications Symposium (RTAS), 2015,2017,2018
- Technical program committee member, IEEE Real-time Systems Symposium (RTSS), 2018
- Technical program committee member, Design Automation and Test in Europe (DATE), 2018
- Technical program committee member, Asia and South Pacific Design Automation Conference (ASP-DAC), 2018
- Technical program committee member, International Conference on Compilers, Architectures and Synthesis of Embedded Systems (CASES), 2015
- Technical program committee member, International Conference on Computer-Aided Design (ICCAD), 2013 - 2015
Students must have a strong background in programming (both software and hardware). If you are applying to either the Computer Science or Electrical and Computer Engineering department, and are interested in this research, then please send me your CV. Unfortunately, it may not be possible to respond to all email.
Current StudentsI am fortunate to be working with the following outstanding students.
- Mohamed Hassan, Winter 2016 (Intel, Canada)
- Hany Kashif, Fall 2015 (SOTI Research)
- Nivedita Sritharan, Spring 2017
- Yunling Cui, Winter 2017 (Intel, Canada)
- Nathan Buchanan, Fall 2016 (Texas Instruments, USA)
- Zhuoran Yin, Winter 2015 (National Instruments)
- Anirudh Kaushik, Winter 2014 (IBM Toronto => PhD @ Waterloo)
- Aayush Prakash, Spring 2012 (IBM Toronto => Nvidia Canada)
- Sina Gholamian, Spring 2012 (Thalmic Labs.=>Qualcomm Canada=> PhD @ Waterloo)
- Dan Wang, Fall 2013 (Istuary)
ContactDepartment of Electrical and Computer Engineering,
University of Waterloo,
200 University Ave W, Waterloo, ON N2L 3G1, Canada.
Office: E5 4018
Tel: +1 519 888 4567
Fax: +1 519 746 7260